Wednesday, September 19, 2012

How to Use Coupons


Jumping into the world of couponing can be exciting and overwhelming all at the same time. Often times you want to jump in and drop a $400 order down to nearly nothing. You have to understand that that is not realistic when you first start out. Couponing takes time and dedication.

  • Break your shopping trip into smaller transactions if needed.
  • Don't expect overage- Sometimes you will get lucky and  get overage on an item, but most stores do not allow this. Meaning if the coupon is higher than the price of the item most stores will either adjust the coupon down or refuse the coupon all together.
  •  Do not photocopy coupons- This is fraud and can be tracked
  • Breakaway from brand loyalty- There are a few items I am brand loyal to and I love getting deals on those items, but I am open to all brands. Whatever is the best deal...
    • Example: I love Venus razors, but we all know they can get expensive. If I can get Bic razors for free, I'm going to grab those for free rather than pay $9+ for a Venus razor. It's all about saving money and grabbing the best deal
  • Couponing isn't about using a coupon because you have the coupon- It's about using the coupon at a time that gives you the best deal.
    • Example: I have a coupon good for $0.50/1 Dove Body wash. Dove body wash retails for $5.99at my local store. My store doubles, making the body wash only $4.99 after the coupon.  Sure I saved a little money for something I would have bought anyway.. BUT.. I can wait until the body wash goes on sale in the store  to use the coupon to save even more.  Say the body wash goes on sale for 2 for $4, I use my $0.50/1 coupon to make that body wash just $1. See I saved even more waiting for the better deal.
  • Stacking coupons is a great way to profit off of your coupons as well. If your local store accepts manufacturers coupons and competitor coupons you can  really save money that way. Make sure to know your local stores policy!
    • Example: My local store allows competitor coupons. I can use a competitor coupon and a manufacturers coupon on one item.  Say I have a coupon for $0.75/1 Dove body wash to stack with that $0.50/1 coupon above. I would use it when the item is on sale just like before but instead, this time I would also use the competitor coupon, making the body wash just $0.25 each.
  • Don't be afraid to not use coupons. Coupons come and go all the time. I personally clean out hundreds of coupons each month that have expired. Even coupons for items I use. Another coupon will come back around sooner or later. 
  • Don't be afraid to miss a deal- Getting every deal will take a lot of time and energy. Sure it's great to save money, but don't let couponing take over to the fact that all you do is coupon. You will get burnt out on it very fast if you try to catch every little thing. Just like coupons, deals come and go.. don't be afraid to miss a few. 


Share |

0 comments: